[Dixielandjazz] The Economy and The Music Business

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sun Oct 26 23:09:42 PDT 2008

I was well on my way to 100 gigs this year but this month really sucked.  I
am running behind on December with only 3 gigs booked although I have a few
more for 2009 than usual.  I did book three last week for later in the year
and next year.

I played my first Ocktober fest today complete with German hats and a
program of all German music and polkas.  I wasn't even going to take the gig
because my German tunes could be counted on one hand but I got busy and
found about 20 of them.  Without  that gig I wouldn't have had any this
month.

This really caught me off guard.  I really expected to pick up a few last
minute gigs.  I usually get one or two anyway and I usually get a couple of
calls with other bands.  The last time I had this bad of a month was 9/11
and everything stopped for over a month then.

Well if it's any consolation the people loved the German tunes and promised
to book me for next year.  Now that I can do fests maybe I can book a few
more next year and maybe even a Mayfest or two.  We have a large German
population here with several small towns where you can still hear German
spoken.  My mother was German and my son and his family live about 30 clicks
south of Frankfort.

Even though I swore off ever doing the chicken dance again we did it anyway.
They loved it.  Oh well that's show biz.

I'm hoping this downturn doesn't last long.  I think everyone is holding
their breath and their pocketbooks till after the election.
Larry
StL