[Dixielandjazz] The Economy and The Music Business

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 23 07:52:41 PDT 2008

Larry Walton asked if anyone else was experiencing a slowdown in
bookings. And whether it might be linked to the economic times.

Like Larry, I have noticed a slowdown in some segments of our music
business. And I think it does tie in with the economy.

As a business oriented band leader, I have a marketing plan which,
among other things, segments the marketplace. That basically means I
keep track of gigs by category, like:
Retirement Home, Public Parks, Jazz Festivals, Private Parties,
Weddings, etc. And I seek new clients in those segments that seem to
do better than average in tough times.

Examples: For the next 3 months (Nov-Dec-Jan)

CORPORATE PARTIES: This coming holiday season so far is running well
behind last year. I am expecting to book about 60% of the corporate
gigs as we did last year for November, December and January. Some
companies have flat out said that this year, they are cutting back on
their Christmas Party Budgets and live music did not survive the cut.

RETIREMENT HOMES: Have booked 10% more gigs

PUBLIC PARKS: Too early to tell, but I don't think they will decline
this summer.

JAZZ & MUSIC FESTIVALS: Too early to tell (these are small local one
day festivals) but I don't think they will decline.

WEDDINGS: (for 2009 total) No change, same booked in 2009 as for 2008.

RESTAURANTS: 2009 bookings running behind 2008 so far.

ETC. Not anticipating much change from 2008.

However, I am target marketing right now in an effort to make sure
Barbone Street  hits our 2009 target of 150 gigs. Getting direct
mailers out to Cities, Townships, etc in our area to get a few more
park/bandshell gigs to offset possible declines in other market
segments like private parties, restaurants etc. Segmenting and target
marketing results in diversification which is a great hedge against
loss of gigs.

Over the next 30 days I will mail out roughly 500 promotional pieces
to various client prospects. These are qualified prospects that
present musical/cultural events locally. I've been building and
refining this list for 15 years and it works for me. I am also
networking actively among the cultural associations in our area as
previously posted.

Basically I seek 10% new clients each year remembering my Marketing
courses from 50+ years ago that no matter how good a product a
business has, it will lose that many customers every year because of
death, people moving away, somebody getting mad at you, etc., etc. I
followed that reasoning throughout my day gig career.

In these times, I think the best defense against loss of gigs is a
good offense and I am actively promoting right now for 2009 gigs,
looking for 20% new clients.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband