[Dixielandjazz] Pee Wee Russell

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Sun Oct 26 19:13:06 PDT 2008

The subject of Pee Wee Russell has been discussed many times over the years
on DJML.

I'll repeat what I have said before.  For the most part, I disagree with the
people who think Pee Wee was a musical genius.  I think he had a very poor
command of his horn.  I thing he had a poor conception of the chord
structure of the songs he was playing.  I also suspect he was a little bit,
or maybe a lot in his cups when making most recordings.

Of course lots of people disagree with me.  I used to argue the point with
Dick Cary who of course heard and played with Pee Wee.  He would always win
the argument by saying, "Pee Wee never sounded the same on recordings as he
did in person."

I had an LP from the early 30s where Pee Wee did play a pretty hot tenor sax
solo.  He also played clarinet on the same recording.  When I had my radio
show in LA, I once played that recording and had a contest as to who the
tenor sax was.  I named all the other personnel in the band, including Pee
Wee on clarinet.  That of course threw everyone off.  It took a few weeks
before someone finally named him.

--Bob Ringwald K6YBV
Note new e-mail address rsr at ringwald.com
530/642-9551
916/806-9551 Cell
www.ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band

Hear our new CD at:
www.fultonstreetjazz.com/music.htm

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough
to take everything you have."
--Thomas Jefferson, 3rd. President, Term of Office: January 20, 1801 to
January 20, 1809.