[Dixielandjazz] Fwd: UK Tours

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 13:33:12 PDT 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Marek Boym <marekboym at gmail.com>
Date: 26 Oct 2008 22:32
Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] UK Tours
To: Ken Mathieson <ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk>

> In his post on the above, Marek wrote "Don't forget Glasgow!" I'm afraid the Glasgow jazz scene in general has shrunk a lot in recent years. George Penman's Jazzmen still play a Saturday afternoon residency, but the few remaining other bands mainly play function work.

While I did hear other bands in Glasgow, I mainly meant George Penman.
 And it's not a long ride from Edinburgh.

There >
> It's certainly a changed place from the early 1960s, when I could count at least 36 trad bands working in and around the city. Of these, there were 5 full-time pro bands on the road across the UK with Glasgow as their home base, and of the rest, all semi-pros, there were 4 or 5 that played to pro standard. In addition, spread across the whole range of semi-pro bands there were some outstanding individuals, many of whom later went pro. Singer Carol Kidd and reedman Jim Galloway spring to mind, but others left town to settle elsewhere and go on to distinguished musical careers.

I was in Glasgow in 1996, and there was plenty of jazz, both local and
visiting (Scottish) bands.  And we drove there from Edinburgh.  early
1960's were the hey days of British trad, so there can be no
comparison.

Cheers