[Dixielandjazz] UK tour

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 16:09:49 PDT 2008

> "Geordie" is the dialect spoken by people living in the Tyneside area around
> Newcastle. The proper dialect, I believe was a gift of Scandinavian invaders
> centuries ago. I think the dialect is less in use these days but some words
> linger on and so does the (to me) lovely accent

The accent may be lovely, but it doesn't sound like English.  Neville
Dickie is a Geordie, and has mentioned that, upon moving to London, he
had to re-learn English, because nobody could understand it.

> When we were in Sacramento about 9 years ago people commented that our
> friend Margaret Walker from "Geordieland" was easier to understand than me
> with my standard English.

Well, Americans do not WANT to accomodate any accents.  I had no
trouble understanding  you, even with loud (and good) jazz being
played.

> Jazz content .... sometime listmate, Mike Durham, runs a great festival on
> Tyneside  which includes a lot of young European musicians.

And speaks comprehensible English.

Cheers