[Dixielandjazz] UK tour

Judy Eames jude at judyeames.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 02:59:23 PDT 2008

Marek said .......Not to mention the Geordies.

"Geordie" is the dialect spoken by people living in the Tyneside area
around Newcastle. The proper dialect, I believe was a gift of
Scandinavian invaders centuries ago. I think the dialect is less in use
these days but some words linger on and so does the (to me) lovely accent

When we were in Sacramento about 9 years ago people commented that our
friend Margaret Walker from "Geordieland" was easier to understand than
me with my standard English.

Jazz content .... sometime listmate, Mike Durham, runs a great festival
on Tyneside  which includes a lot of young European musicians.  It would
  make a good focus for a UK trip, the downside is that it's in July
when plane fares are high.  "Google" Whitley Bay Jazz Festival if you
want details. Other good festivals are Keswick in May, and two that I'm
booked for: Upton-on-Severn in June and Bude in September  The Barnharts
and Jim Fryer are regular guests at Keswick and Bude

American visitors are amazed at the number of jazz venues we have in the
UK.... of variable quality of course. The Jazz Guide that someone
mentioned covers traditional jazz for the whole of England and Wales and
is free.

Jude

www.judyeames.co.uk