[Dixielandjazz] Condon at Town Hall

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 24 13:57:21 PDT 2008

What are you disagreeing with?

Bob Rawlins said the Town Hall sessions were "among" his favorites.
And, like you and me, he adores Pee Wee Russell's playing. I do have
one point of disagreement where he implies that Pee Wee had poor
technique. Shoot, he was playing quarter tones before the rest of the
reed players knew what they were. I always believed that Pee Wee
played that way because he wanted to.

I think Bob would also agree that Russell communicated with his
clarinet as opposed to players who master the instrument. but don't
say much.

On my part, my favorite Condon memories are listening to his various
groups live, at his joint. IMO, there is nothing on records that comes
close to what that band really sounded like. Unfortunately, the Town
Hall sessions and others are subject to the imperfect state of
recording art at the time and just give the listener a hazy idea of
how great they were.

Kind of like listening to King Oliver. Even the latest technology of
Archeophone, as good as it is cannot give us an idea of what he really
sounded like. One has to listen "through" the recordings, best done
with a glass of Cardhu and one's imagination, helped in Condon's case,
by those who saw/heard his various bands live, in performance.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband