[Dixielandjazz] Dick Cary on the Condon Townhall concerts.

Lowell Busching verbose at daktel.com
Thu Oct 23 16:56:32 PDT 2008

A piece of Trivia on Dick's credits. on those Condon recordings. that
Bob Ringwald forgot to mention. These shows were made during wartime you
know.

I believe we got it from Dick himself that he was technically AWOL from
his duty station near New York City when he was on the early shows.
Plus he was using his government issue "Peck" horn on the shows. That
sort of thing was frowned upon at the time by the military, and
particularly by the officers. Many were not jazz fans.

As Bob said, Dick did not have official permission to be there so his
name was not mentioned. nor will you find him listed on the first shows.
I am not sure who had the idea, whether it was Dick himself or someone
on the show, but they found that many military officers during that era
were willing to let their men do things outside the military as long as
their names were mentioned in the credits as their commanding officer.
and the men were there with their permission.

At the time you start hearing Dick Cary's name mentioned at the end of
those shows. on that CD package Bob mentioned, you will probably also
hear something like "With the permission of So and So". Listen for
Dick's playing, both on piano and "Peck" horn on the earlier broadcasts.
He was there for many of them, if not all.  Probably on trumpet also?
Bob would know.

Mad Dog