[Dixielandjazz] The Condon All Star Concerts

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Wed Oct 22 12:53:30 PDT 2008

Steve Barbone wrote:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD9HdsNWAww
>
 > This series of Town Hall concerts was immensely popular in the USA as
> well as with the GI's overseas from 1944 to 1947.(Broadcast on Armed
> Forces Network)
 (snip)

As I remember, there are something such as 24 half hour shows which are
available on CD through George Buck.  When I lived in Los Angeles and had my
3-hour radio show each week, I borrowed the whole set from someone and
broadcast the entire series, one week at a time.  They are wonderful.

The first 4 or so are a little scratchy but as the series goes on, the
fidelity gets better.  There are an amazing bunch of musicians featured
throughout the series.

Dick Cary did a lot of the arranging and played on a lot of the shows but
most of the time could not be credited as he was in the service, stationed
at Lake Placid and could not do radio broadcasts without the permission of
the army.

--Bob ringwald