[Dixielandjazz] Derek Silvers advice to Music Students at Berklee

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 18 07:28:47 PDT 2008

CD Baby founder Derek Sivers, Berklee graduate but no starving artist,
gave a  6 part talk last month to incoming freshman at the Berklee
College of Music. "Things I wish I knew the day I started Berklee."
Here's Part 6. IMO, all schools of music should include a 3 credit
course on "being valuable", as Derek outlined below:

Cheers,

Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

#6 : WHEN DONE BE VALUABLE

While you’re here, stay locked in the shed. Enjoy this wonderful
isolation, with no responsibility but to improve yourself.

But when you leave here, head to the business aisle of the bookstore
and start reading a book a week about entrepreneurial things like
marketing.

Never underestimate the importance of making money making music. Let
go of any weird taboos you have about it.

Money is nothing more than neutral proof that you’re adding value to
people’s lives. Making sure you’re making money is just a way of
making sure you’re doing something of value to others.

Remember that this usually comes from doing the things that most
people don’t do.

For example : how much does the world pay people to play video games?
Nothing, because everyone does it. How much does the world pay people
to make video games? A ton, because very few can do it, and lots of
people want it.

Be one of the few that is clever enough to make money making music
instead of pretending it doesn’t matter.

Be one of the few that has the guts to do something shocking.

Be one of the few that takes your lessons here as a starting point,
and pushes yourself to do more with what you learn.

Be one of the few that knows how to help yourself, instead of
expecting for others to do it for you.

Be one of the few that does much more than is required.

And most importantly, be one of the few that stays in the shed to
practice, while everyone else is surfing the net, flirting on MySpace,
and watching TV.