[Dixielandjazz] Avon Long (was "Bad Boy" by Lil Armstrong)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Oct 16 14:35:11 PDT 2008

Harry Callaghan commented:
> I, quite frankly, had envisioned Avon Long as a rather tall lady who
> peddled ladies' cosmetics.

Dear Harry,
Joke noted.
8>)
In my haste yesterday I omitted to advise that I have two photographs
of Avon Long.
One on page 214 of 'Black Musical Theatre. From Coontown to
Dreamgirls' by Allen Woll (1989. Louisiana State University Press).
 From Duke Ellington's 'Beggars Holiday'.
The other on page 100 of 'The Cotton Club. A Pictorial and Social
History of the Most Famous Symbol of the Jazz Era' by Jim Haskins
(1977. Random House) which accompanies the account of his appearance
in the 1934 Cotton Club Parade and his involvement with the emergence
of Lena Horne from the Cotton Club chorus line.
Kind regards,
Bill.