[Dixielandjazz] Avon Long (was "Bad Boy" by Lil Armstrong)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Oct 16 01:55:09 PDT 2008

Dear Harry,
I've never ceased to be amazed at where a simple jazz query will take
us.
Up until this "Bad Boy" thread, I had not come across Avon Long,
probably because he wasn't a Tin Pan Alley composer or a jazz/swing
musician.
He was a Broadway man. An actor, dancer and singer.
Born in Baltimore, Maryland on 18 June 1910 – died in New York City on
15 February, 1984.
The Internet Movie Data Base, in a mini-biog by Ted Thompson, provides
the following information:
   "Avon Long was a featured singer and dancer in the Cotton Club in
New York in 1934. Lena Horne credits him with bringing her out of the
chorus line to a featured spot. In the 1940's, he won critical acclaim
as "Sportin' Life" in the Broadway production of "Porgy and Bess". He
also appeared in featured roles on Broadway in "Bubbling Brown Sugar".
Was nominated for Broadway's 1973 Tony Award as Best Supporting or
Featured Actor (Musical) for 'Don't Play Us Cheap'."

Additional research through my own files reveals that Avon Long
recorded "There's A Boat Dat's Leavin' Soon for New York" (from Porgy
and Bess) with Leo Reisman and His Orchestra for Decca on 15 March 1942.
He appeared, soft-shoe shuffling in the  Broadway musical flop
'Memphis Bound'. A hip version of 'HMS Pinafore' which featured a 67-
year-old Bill Robinson dancing like a 35-year-old to great acclaim.
Avon was a villain in the 1945 musical 'Carib Song' where he appeared
along with the Katherine Dunham dancers.
He was in 'Beggar's Holiday', a 1947 Broadway musical featuring the
music of Duke Ellington.
In 'Bubbling Brown Sugar' (mentioned above) he sang Bert Williams'
"Nobody"; and in the 1972 'Don't Play Us Cheap' was one of two demons
who terrorised a house rent party.
Avon Long was featured on 'The Eddie Condon Floor Show' TV series in
May and June 1950 with the band which included Wild Bill Davison,
Peanuts Hucko and Cutty Cutshall. There was an audio cassette release
of both shows which will no doubt resurface on CD in the future.
There is also an appearance with Duke Ellington on the 'The Kreisler
Bandstand' TV program in May 1951 where he sings "I Got It Bad'.
It is on LP and an French Accord CD 302282.
He can also be heard on an LP compilation 'Cotton Club Stars' (Stash
ST 124) singing "Liza (All The Clouds’ll Roll Away)" accompanied by a
familiar (to me) pianist, unk. guitar and string bass.
Unfortunately, this and 4 other tracks were left off the CD reissue of
this LP
And lastly, a CD reissue by singer Thelma Carpenter on which she sings
with Avon Long on "I’m Just Wild About Harry' and "Gypsy Blues", for
which I have no personnel or recording date details.
All this and we have yet to discover the details of Avon Long's
association with Lil Armstrong.
Which is what started it all.
8>)
Very kind regards,