[Dixielandjazz] "Bad Boy" by Lil Armstrong (no subject)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Oct 14 16:50:23 PDT 2008

Regarding:  ...... the song "Bad Boy" was written by Louis Armstrong's
second wife Lil Hardin, I have been trying to find out
> whether Satchmo ever recorded it.
> I have little doubt that he must have performed it at one time or
> another
> but I have thus far been unable to determine where he actually
> recorded it.

Dear Rick and Harry,
There are no recordings documenting Louis playing his ex-wife's
composition "Bad Boy".
And, given his busy schedule, I personally doubt that he would have
bothered. If he knew about it.
Research suggests that "Bad Boy" was composed about 1958, when the
Jivebombers recorded it for Savoy.
By this time the Armstrong All Stars had established its comfortable
repertoire of jazz standards and popular tunes.
In fact, there are only several of Lil's 1930s tunes, which Louis did
record.
He certainly didn't get around to recording any of her numerous late
1930s and post-1942 'hits' which included:
Bad Boy, Bluer Than Blue, Born To Swing, Brown Gal, Cepice, Clip
Joint, Boogie Me, Doin' The Susie-Q, Everything's Wrong Ain't Nothing
Right, Happy Today Sad Tomorrow, Hi De Ho Man, Hot Hot Blues, It's
Murder, Just For a Thrill, Knock-Kneed Sal, Let's Call It Love, Let's
Get Happy Together, Lindy Hop, My Secret Flame, Rewind, Safely Locked
Up In My Heart, Sit-Down Strike For Rhythm and When I Went Back Home.
Very kind regards,
Bill.