[Dixielandjazz] Corollary to Top Ten Facts of Life for Playing in Clubs and Restaurants

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Wed Oct 8 13:34:11 PDT 2008

Hi Marek et al,

John was close friend and frequent musical collaborator of mine over a
20-year period and was immensely proud of the fact that he had worked a lot
with Goodman in both big and small bands. He told me once of the audition
for the trumpet section of the British big band that was put together for a
Goodman tour of northern Europe. A contractor called the leading 20 or so
trumpeters in London, Johnny among them, to attend at a rehearsal studio at
a given time. Johnny described as being like a brass-players' convention:
everyone who was anyone was there. When Benny eventually turned up with a
piano-player, he lined up the trumpeters and told them to play one chorus
each of "Bye Bye Blackbird." After they had all played their chorus, Benny
picked 4 guys, including Johnny, and the others were thanked and paid for
their time.

Much later, when Benny and John had got to know each other, John asked him
how he had whittled 20 or so guys down to 4 in such a short space of time.
Benny's reply was short and to the point: The guys who didn't swing were
eliminated right away and of the rest, the guys with a strong personal sound
and an individual way of phrasing, but who stuck close to the melody, were
in. The guys who played fantastic technical stuff, but got well away from
the tune weren't considered. Benny also told John that he (John) didn't have
the chops to play above fourth chair, but he had the sound and imagination
to take the bulk of the jazz solos as well as the musical and visual humour
to keep the audience interested. John was rightly immensely proud of this
compliment and loved to remind audiences that he had played with the great
Benny Goodman.

He and his great pal, the wonderful accordeonist Jack Emblow (still to the
fore in his late 70s), were regular guests at the Black Bull Jazz Club near
Glasgow, where I was part of the resident house trio for 15 years. One time,
knowing that Johnny was bound to say at some point "..did I ever tell you
that I worked Benny Goodman?", I set the audience up before the gig to
respond by feigning sleep and snoring loudly. When the time inevitably came,
we got an Oscar-winning crowd scene, including the barmaid draped across the
beer taps. Jack was in stitches and Johnny was initially taken aback, but he
had a great sense of humour and was soon telling the story against himself
to all on the scene.

The tales of John and Jack on the road became so legendary on the UK jazz
scene that ace guitarist Martin Taylor started doing an occasional strip
cartoon of some of them, which I guess are probably collectors' items by
now. John never got over the early death of his wife and, once he had
successfully raised his 2 daughters to adult independence (no mean feat for
an itinerant freelance pro musician), he stopped looking after himself a
bit. He had always enjoyed a "wee refreshment", to use a Glasgow euphemism,
which couldn't have helped an incipient blood pressure problem, hence the
florid face. But even later on, when he was clearly not well, he completely
knocked out Ella Fitzgerald with the quality of his solo work on a concert
she did with the BBC Scottish Radio Big Band.

He's been gone about 10 years now, but not forgotten. Indeed, I've recently
started making CD copies of piles of reel-to-reel tapes recorded at the
Black Bull (everyone from Bud Freeman to Sonny Stitt) between 1974 and 1986.
There are a few of the sessions with Jack Emblow among them and for
quick-witted, intelligent, humourous and accomplished playing, they are hard
to beat.

Regards,

Ken Mathieson

www.classicjazzorchestra.org.uk