[Dixielandjazz] Restaurant gig survey

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 7 13:43:02 PDT 2008

Dear Bud:

1) We've been doing less and less of them because they do not pay
well, compared to the other venues we work. At this moment, we have no
steady restaurant or night club gigs, but Barbone Street does about 10
casuals a year and I work some as a sideman sub in these venues. About
20 restaurant/club/gigs a year total for me.

Generally;

2a) They do not pay sufficient wages.
2b) Some provide free drinks, some do not (about 50/50)
3)   Some have a tip jar, some do not. (about 50/50)
4)   Yes, CDs are sold in all
5)   Some charge a cover, some do  not. About 20 percent have a cover
6)   In restaurants, about 3/4 stay for at least one set.
        In "jazz" night clubs all stay.
7)   Once a year at 10 different restaurant venues.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband