[Dixielandjazz] Jazz in Minneapolis/St Paul 1st weekend in October

Barb Jordan jordan_barb at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 7 07:27:53 PDT 2008

Hi Steve and listmates, Just back from a weekend in St.Paul/Minneapolis and was able to take in 2 venues that you suggested Steve. We actually checked some of the others just to see where they were located for future reference. We took in Mose Allison's show at the Artist's Quarter. He was in fine form and I really enjoyed his songs. The place was full. $20 cover charge. He had a young local bass player with him and a local drummer.  We also went to the jazz brunch at the Times Bar & Grill. The Wolverines Jazz Trio was playing. 40's 50's jazz. with a guest vocalist - Nichola Miller. Very good, but there were large groups in attendance chatting away, so we couldn't appreciate the music the way we wanted to, but as a previous email of yours outlined, that's just the way it is.

There is a dance floor at the Times, and there were some young couples jiving and it was just great!

The Jack Brass Dixieland Band played there on Saturday night. They have music acts every night of the week!

We also checked out the Dakota Jazz Club. $44 cover charge on Thursday night. Not sure who was playing.

Rossi's Blue Star Room - had a "closed - gone out of business" sign on the window. They had been there 5 years.

I would have liked to have seen the Barbary Coast Dixieland Band play at the Calvary Lutheran Church on Sunday, but too much to do in a short amount of time. I had called the church ahead of time like you suggested.

Anyway, loved the area with all the lakes and walking trails. Thanks for all your help, Steve.

I am heading off to Naples Florida on Oct. 16 and staying through until the 19th. If you know of any places that have trad jazz, dixieland, jazz, blues, or boogie woogie bands playing, it would greatly appreciated!

Barbara Jordan
Toronto, Canada

CC: dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.comFrom: barbonestreet at earthlink.netTo: jordan_barb at hotmail.comSubject: Jazz in Minneapolis/St Paul 1st weekend in OctoberDate: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 18:47:01 -0400
Hi Barb & List mates:

I know about the following:

Mose Allison is at the Artist's Quarter on Friday  through Sunday 8:30 PM & 10:30 PM
408 St Peter Street, St Paul 651-292-1359   $20  (Blues/Boogie Woogie etc)

Dakota Jazz Club - 1010 Nicollet Mall 55403 Minneapolis  -  612-332-1010 Shows start at 7 PM & 9:30 PM.  Not sure who's there. May be modern jazz.

Rossi's Blue Star Room - 80 S. Ninth Street, Minneapolis  612-312-2880
Said to be like a Chicago Speakeasy, but I don't know who is there.

Bar Lurcat, 1624 Harmon Pl, Minneapolis - music after 9 (sometimes) 612-486-5500

Cafe Luxx - 1101 Lasalle Ave, Minneapolis - 612-332-6800 American Songbook Combos

Times Bar & Grill - 201 E. Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis 612-617-8098 Jazz Brunch on Sundays from 10 AM. (also nights, but not sure what genre)

In St Paul also try

O'Gara's 175 W 7th St  651-644-3333  A YOUNG crowd goes here and the music may by rock as well as jazz so check first. <grin>

Too bad the "Dixieland" venue went bankrupt. However, you can't go wrong with Mose Allison. He is a wonderful pianist and singer. Not Dixieland but surely OKOM. And as a vocalist yourself, you would probably LOVE him.

Cheers,
Steve
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband