[Dixielandjazz] Metronome Magazines

Judy Eames jude at judyeames.co.uk
Wed Oct 1 12:30:48 PDT 2008

You never know, you might just get lucky with the search for the
magazines. We did with with what I think is the UK equivalent of the
time the  "Melody Maker"...

Tony and I bought 12 bound volumes 1926 to 32 in a "quality" bookshop
that obviously didn't know their value.  Anyway they're beyond price as
far as we're concerned but we paid £120 for the lot ... (until recently
nearly $240 but who knows now?)

Reading them makes it all sound as if the music happened yesterday and
incidentally they had difficulty defining jazz then too! There was
conflict between pro and semi pro musicians then too.

We used some of the material for a couple of sessions at a National
Trust Property  built in 1926. We only got as far as 1927 and the new
manager wasn't a music fan.  I was hoping for another 4 gigs:-)

Good luck ... who knows what's round the corner!

Jude