[Dixielandjazz] Gordon Finlay? Our Navy's Music - The U.S. Navy Band (LP 1958)

Artwoo at aol.com Artwoo at aol.com
Wed Nov 26 20:15:23 PST 2008

Bob: Here's an ebay offering that might interest you:

_Our  Navy's Music - The U.S. Navy Band (LP 1958) Rare - eBay (item
310088190976 end  time Nov-28-08 16:16:15 PST)_
(http://cgi.ebay.com/Our-Navys-Music-The-U-S-Navy-Band-LP-1958-Rare_W0QQitemZ310088190976QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMusic_on_V
inyl?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116)

Bob: I stand corrected in my recollections about Gordon Finlay. He was with
the Navy Band, not the Marine Band from the 40's through the 50's. The navy
band  website lists the above recording on the navy band website:

_http://www.navyband.navy.mil/disc_pastrecordings.shtml_
(http://www.navyband.navy.mil/disc_pastrecordings.shtml)

It is very possible that the 1958 album listed above has Gordon as either a
featured player, or a lead player.

Maybe Bill Haesler has the source document for personnel on this  recording.

Good luck.
Art

PS There is an interesting article about Mike Vax in the International
Trumpet Guild

_http://www.trumpetguild.org/pdf/1999journal/9910laba.pdf_
(http://www.trumpetguild.org/pdf/1999journal/9910laba.pdf)

where he mentions Gordon Finlay (p 17) and Gordon's diaphragm exercise.  Mike
learned this lesson well, he is without a doubt one of the best players  I've
known.

AOL.com.