[Dixielandjazz] Fwd: Mike Vax and Gordon Finlay

artwoo at aol.com artwoo at aol.com
Wed Nov 26 14:03:01 PST 2008

Subj:Re: [Dixielandjazz] Mike Vax and Gordon Finlay

Not that I am aware of. Gordon was solo cornet with the DC Marine Corps Band in the late 50's. Gordon was a latter day Herbert L Clarke. In the early 60,s Gordon taught at UOP after his stint with the Marines. Mike Vax was there at that time & on a fast track to greatness. I studied with Gordon @UOP in 1963. He was a great teacher and flawless cornet player. I  have vivid and positive memories of him and appreciated his mentoring to me. He was a proponent of diaphragm breathing & minimal lip pressure with a lyrical approach. Regards & Happy T day!