[Dixielandjazz] Skiffle music

Stanley A. Klein sklein at cpcug.org
Sat Nov 22 13:02:25 PST 2008

My understanding is as follows:

If a band includes a washboard, it is a washboard band, unless it includes
a jug, which makes it a jug band.  If it includes multiple other homemade
instruments (e.g., washtub bass, musical saw, etc.) it is a skiffle band.

The Sunshine Skiffle Band had two washboards, a jug (doubled from
saxophone), a musical saw, a washtub bass, a water whistle (doubled), a
slide whistle (doubled), a player who had a bandolier of harmonicas,
kazoos (several doubled), and a few others I can't remember.  A founder
played a rhumba box.

Stan Klein