[Dixielandjazz] Great page of Tin Pan Alley composer bios

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Wed Nov 19 22:13:27 PST 2008

Hi all,

While doing some research on an obscure German-American Family Band of
the 1850s (for my cousin, who is writing a book) I came across this
very interesting collection of musical names:

http://parlorsongs.com/bios/composersbios.php  - looks like more than
100 American song writers from the pre-ragtime thru early jazz era!
Just the thing for getting a bit of trivia to announce before you play
some song or other...

BTW, if any of you ever see anything about a "George Schneider Family
Band" (1851 to 1880s?) let me know! Schneider is a very common name in
the American Mid-West and searching genealogical websites is not
getting us very far. I have seen a reference to a few ragtime songs
composed by a George Schneider, but I am not sure if it is the same
person. From the info we have, the "George" in question was 44 years
old in 1851, so he would have been a spry 80 (or more) in the early
Ragtime years.  It is possible that he was the son of Georg Schneider,
1770-1839, the somewhat famous German composer and Horn player, and
brother of Louis Schneider ( a notorious actor-musician of the 1840s
European scene.)

Researching obscure musicians is fun, sometimes!

Dave Richoux