[Dixielandjazz] Incredible talent

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Wed Nov 19 10:32:27 PST 2008

This from a musician friend, "SUGAR" WILLIE Erickson.

Not OKOM but musical.

------

Gang,

Ogden Nash was one of the most outstanding poets who ever lived.  Saint Seans' orchestral composition "The Carnival Of The Animals" was very well written.  (It's where that famous cello solo "The Swan" came from.)  But when Nash wrote a short poem to go along with each animal, the entire composition soared way over the top in popularity.  The individual poems are so clever, I can't decide which one I like the best.  Dig the following:

Come crown my brow with leaves of Myrtle
  I know the tortoise is a turtle.
Come carve my name in stone immortal.
  I know the turtus is a tortle.

I know to my profound despair
  I bet on one to beat the hare.
I also know I'm now a pauper
  Because of its turtly, tortly torpor.

What makes this one so unique is that each line alternates from one extreme to the other.  Those last three words are legit:  Turtly (like a turtle), tortly (as in retort) and torpor (lethargic).

"SUGAR" WILLIE
Jibboom Street Jazz Band
For bookings, phone:
(916) 332-5771