[Dixielandjazz] FW: Dukes

macjazz macjazz at comcast.net
Thu Nov 13 10:54:06 PST 2008

As a kid, I would go with my dad to hear various NO groups, including
sitting outside Lodge halls, Clubs and Bars in the "wrong part of town" at
the time to listen to many many performers and groups.  (Yes, the police
moved us along regularly, even just sitting the car, but much of the time
they hadn't had supper yet and were happy to go get a little something to
eat while we continued to sit there.)

The Assunto boys played well and were often around (they were just a little
younger) but the group itself wasn't looked at the same way the other bands
were.  It wasn't as much a question of good or bad or of commercial or non
commercial.  It was more just "different."  At least that is my memory from
being there as a kid.

It is interesting to me that you put them in a class with Watters and Turk
in that I didn't really care for them either until I Waa up in my twenties.
Coincidence? Now I think I have all the Watters LPs that there are, and all
the AF Dukes for that matter. Still neither of them were in the same group
(to me at the time) as the various New Orleans groups or the Condon/Rampart
Street Paraders sides.

Just me and an old man's memory.

Martin D. McKay (Designated Listener)