[Dixielandjazz] FW: Dukes

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Thu Nov 13 10:03:35 PST 2008

Martin D. McKay wrote:
>New Orleans considered the Dukes as commercial almost from their beginning.

They were never in the same class with groups like the Basin Street Six
(George Girard and Pete Fountain) or even Al Hirt's early groups.

I, of course, can only speak from the So. Calif side, as that is where I was
at the time.  The Duke's Audio Fidelity records made them a commercial
success, which somehow tends to get one tarred with the nasty "commercial"
brand!

To my ears, they were as "smooth" as the Basin Street Six...smooth probably
being the nasty part that turned away the lovers of the West Coast
style....represented by Watters & Turk.
Plus, the Dukes played more well-known (commercial?) numbers than did W & T,
who were always digging up old songs.

I don't particularly think "commercial" is a naughty word.

Jim