[Dixielandjazz] Good unknown musicians

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 8 17:26:13 PST 2008

Now, it is a really small world. The band at the Donnell branch of
NYC's public library was lead by a drummer friend of mine named Dick
Sherman. They had been there for more than 40 years, every Thursday at
noon. Probably the longest running steady gig in NYC. You could have
seen any number of New York's finest OKOMers there including
trombonists  James Lincoln Collier (also an author), or Dick Dreiwitz,
tubist Barbra Dreiwitz, Banjo Eddie Davis or Cynthia Sayer or
Trumpeters Jon Erik Kellso, Peter Ecklund, Dr. Palu (Paul Squires) Ed
Polcer, clarinetists Joe Licari, Joe Muryani, etc., etc., etc.

Unfortunately, a month or so ago the building was sold and the library
shut down. It is supposed to be in a new building sometime in 2011.
I'm not sure if the gig survives at another branch  and will have to
call Sherman.

Sherman and I played together in the 1950s/early 60s. Among other
things, he took some lessons from Tony Spargo (Sbarbaro) when Tony was
house drummer at Nicks in the 50s. So now you have a connection to the
ODJB. Sherman and I played together a few times at Nicks, Condons,
etc. as well as lots of times on the college circuit and in the Melody
Lounge, Cinderella Club and lesser clubs in NYC and Long Island. Then
I moved to California in 1962. He is still a great friend. He was a
lawyer on his day gig and is a wonderful, swinging, drummer.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband