[Dixielandjazz] Yma Sumax - redux

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 6 12:50:12 PST 2008

> "Larry Walton" <larrys.bands at charter.net> wrote:
>

> They did a tribute to her on PBS radio several days ago.  What an
> amazing
> range especially to those of us who are limited to the same three or
> four
> notes.  Her range was from Baritone to above the normal Soprano.
> They noted
> that her real name, age and origin were uncertain.  Her name may
> have been
> Amy Camus (Yma Sumac spelled backwards).  I think they said she was
> from
> Peru but may not really have been from there at all.
>
> Apparently this was a woman who reinvented herself from time to time.
> True???

Dear Larry and listmates:

Here is the NY Times obit. It is pretty complete. Mentions age, real
name and origin etc. It also mentions her website. For those who are
interested it is:. http://www.yma-sumac.com

As an aside, it was Walter Winchell who tongue in cheek wrote in one
of his columns in a NY Newspaper and mentioned on his radio program
that she was from Brooklyn. It got picked up by many and is the source
of that urban legend.

One of her best selling albums was with the Billy May mambo orchestra.
May was not amused because she did not read music and had to do her
part by rote which consumed a lot of rehearsal and production time.

Check this quote from her when she was asked to do songs such as
"Chuncho" exactly like it is on her albums or like she did before. Her
answer was always the same. She said "if I perform this piece exactly
as I have before then please, don't invite me again, instead just put
up a picture of me and play the record in the background. My music is
alive and flows from my being and from nature, and it does as it
wishes, I am only an expression of it."

For "Chuncho" go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O47V652eyak

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

NY Times - November 4, 2008 - by Douglas Martin
Yma Sumac, Vocalist of the Exotic, Dies at 86

Yma Sumac, a Peruvian singer who burst on the American scene in the
1950s in a tornado of exotic publicity with a voice that glided
preternaturally across four octaves, leading her to top record charts,
fill nightclubs and become a cult heroine, died Saturday in Los
Angeles. She was 86.

Her death was announced on her Web site, yma-sumac.com. The Associated
Press quoted her assistant, Damon Devine, as saying that she had had
an eight-month bout with colon cancer. He confirmed that she was born
on Sept. 13, 1922, not 1926, 1927 or any other year that has been
variously given, almost always making her younger.

What is indisputable is that Ms. Sumac created a sensation as an
otherworldly chanteuse who sold millions of records, appeared onstage
and in movies, filled European concert halls and fetched $25,000 a
performance in Las Vegas. Most critics and musicians heard four
octaves in her voice — compared with two for the average singer —
though she claimed she could cover five. But few doubted a vocal
ability that many experts thought belonged in opera.

“She sings very low and warm, very high and birdlike; and her middle
range is no less lovely than the extremes of her scale,” Virgil
Thomson wrote in The New York Herald Tribune in 1954. “That scale is
very close to four octaves, but is in no way inhuman or outlandish in
sound.”

Her image was pleasantly jolting in what many saw as the staid 1950s.
She wore long, heavy braids in her raven hair; traditional Indian
costumes; lots of gold and silver jewelry; and exotic makeup. She
spoke of jungle animals as musical influences.

The appeal persisted. Many were not surprised at how the Incan
Princess became a venerable queen of camp, popping up decade after
decade with her unsettling mix of strange sounds, folk roots and a
vivacious stage personality. Fans ranged from aficionados of lounge
music to rockers attracted by ethereal sounds to lovers of classic pop.

The Tampa Tribune in 1996 suggested that Ms. Sumac’s “tribalisms” were
perfect for a “space-age bachelor pad.”

“It’s a South American travelogue scripted by Disney, directed by
Dali,” the paper said.

The largest and most persistent fabrication about Ms. Sumac was that
she was actually a housewife from Brooklyn named Amy Camus, her name
spelled backward. The fact is that the government of Peru in 1946
formally supported her claim to be descended from Atahualpa, the last
Incan emperor.

But that was not enough for show business publicists. Her first
American album, 1n 1950, on Capitol Records was called “Voice of the
Xtabay”; the album’s liner notes said Xtabay refers to “the most
elusive of all women,” describing her as “a virgin who might have
consumed your nights with tender caresses now seems less than the dry
leaves of winter.”

The hyperbole grew. The liner notes say 30,000 Indians rioted when
their revered singer moved to Lima to pursue larger ambitions. The
actual number of protesters, Ms. Sumac told Collier’s magazine, was
one: her mother. “Mama seem like 30,000,” she said in her then-broken
English.

The album quickly sold 500,000 copies, and was No. 1 on Variety’s best-
seller list at the end of 1950, surpassing albums by Bing Crosby and
Ethel Merman.

Ms. Sumac was born Zoila Augusta Emperatriz Chavarri del Castillo in
the Andes. Different towns are cited in different sources as her
birthplace. Her father was part Spanish, her mother a full-blooded
Incan.

Ms. Sumac was the last of six children. Incan descent is passed
through the youngest child, on the theory that that child most
benefits from the experience of others in the family, Fate magazine
reported in 1951. She received no formal music lessons.

“The creatures of the forest taught me how to sing,” she said in an
interview with Newsday in 1989. Her talent became known to Peru’s
national government, which brought her to Lima to perform. She moved
to the United States in 1946, and first played in places like a
Greenwich Village delicatessen.

Ms. Sumac first used the name Imma Sumack, then shortened it to the
spelling Capitol Records deemed more exotic. Her first breakthrough
came with a successful concert in Hollywood Bowl. She soon played
Carnegie Hall, flanked onstage by two miniature erupting volcanoes.

Ms. Sumac appeared in the Broadway musical “Flahooley” in 1951, and in
several movies, including “Secret of the Incas” (1954) with Charlton
Heston. Other albums included “Mambo” (1954) and “Fuego del
Ande” (1959).

By the 1960s, with her popularity waning, she made a triumphant tour
of the Soviet Union, where its leader, Nikita S. Khrushchev, was a
fan, then toured in other parts of Europe and Asia. Her later work
included a rock album, “Miracles,” in 1971, and a 2005 anthology,
“Queen of Exotica.”

She twice married and divorced the Peruvian composer and bandleader
Moisés Vivanco. She is survived by their son, Charles, and her three
sisters.

In 1957, Brooklyn made Yma Sumac — not Amy Camus — an honorary citizen
of the borough. The response of the exalted Virgin of the Sun God:
“Must all talent come from Brooklyn?”