[Dixielandjazz] Sidney Bechet's music

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 15:06:38 PST 2008

Just back from a "Bechet Project" concert.  A mostly young group, and
even the oldest musician there is not old by traditional jazz
standards.

It was quite good.  Amnon Ben Artzi, the trombone player, is a trad
jazz veteran, having played with The Stompers for many years.  The
bassist Oren Saggy is a regular with Swing de Gitanes, and an
excellent player, among the best i've heard (and I heard Milt Hinton,
Slam Stewart and Major Holley, Ray Brown, Frank Tate, Annie Hawkins,
Al Morgan, Jack Lesberg, Arvell Shaw, any many others).  The others
seem to have come from more "modern" areas.

Unfortunately, the saxophonist, who said that he took up the soprano
after hearing Jacques Sany in a cafe in the lobby of the Habima
Theatre (Habima means "the stage"), sometimes plyed too many bebop
runs, but stil succeeded in represnting Bechet's music quite well.  He
has the potential; if he keeps doing it, he'll learn.  The drums were
over-amplified, so much so that they often drawned out the piano and
the double bass.  The piano was electric rather than accoustic - a
pity.
Ia all - a very nice concert, even if not outstanding.

On a personal note - if you're in contact with Mal - give him my
regards.  A very nice guy, wom I met in London in 1977.  We even went
to Pizza on the Park together, to hear Johnny Parker with Henri Chaix.

Cheers