[Dixielandjazz] Sacramento Jazz jubilee

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Sat May 31 21:45:21 PDT 2008

I also saw an almost full set of the Bohem band - they were quite
wonderful and entertaining! The international bands have always been
an important part of the Sacramento event and I hope they will
continue to be a significant part of the festival. Some of the Youth
Bands are really getting good - I heard some interesting, uncharted
solos from 14 or 15 year old players - that means a lot!

Blue Street JB did a great set in the Railroad Museum - they had a
lot of fun with the terrible acoustics and did some wonderful true
jazz. They should be a headliner sometime.

The unusually cool (somewhat rainy) weather had a bit of a dampening
effect on Saturday, but the crowds in the Old Sac streets enjoying
the California Repercussions were very enthusiastic!
We also played to a very lively crowd at the Freeway Gardens, but the
stage was just a bit too small for a 70 piece band ;-)

I have performed at this event in several bands since 1979 and some
years it seemed like just a lot of work, other times it was exciting
and fun - I never know what to expect. Keep it interesting!

I did hear several people wondering what happened to the RSJO - I
think they have been at most of the Sacramento Jubilees since the
1980s...

Dave Richoux