[Dixielandjazz] international problems with recorded playbacks

Andy.Ling at Quantel.Com Andy.Ling at Quantel.Com
Wed May 28 05:15:58 PDT 2008

>I am moving to the Philippines this fall. I had hoped to take some of
> my
>LP's with me-or at least some tapes. I already knew about the voltage
>problem
>(they operate on 220) but was told that the cycle problem also
>exists, making
>playback off pitch. Not being an electrical engineer, I wonder if the
>same
>problem applies to other countries using 220 voltage?

The frequency of the mains may not be a problem. It depends what
you want to do. If you are just taking LPs and tapes any buying
new equipment to play them on then there is no problem.

If you are taking equipment with you then there may be. The motor
on a record deck may depend on the mains frequency to get its
speed right. It depends on the type of deck. If it has a DC
servo motor then it is probably OK. If not then you may have
problems.

Unless the tape player is pretty old, it will probably be OK.
These usually have a load of electronics to monitor the
motor speed and adjust it accordingly.

Check the little label on the equipment and see what it says.
Lots of modern equipment can handle all voltages and frequencies.

As someone else mentioned, it will probably cost you more getting
something to do the voltage conversion than it will to get
new stuff.

Andy Ling