[Dixielandjazz] Wilbur C. Sweatman the first black men to record jazz

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun May 25 17:48:44 PDT 2008

On May 25, 2008, at 8:16 PM, Dr. luis daniel flores wrote:

> I read that Kid Ory´s Ory trombone was the first record by a black
> man, however in the Red hot jazz figure Wilbur C. Sweatman with a
> record in 1918, long before the Ory record of 1921
> who was the first then?
> Luis
>
> Dr. Luis Daniel Flores FRCOG
> www.jazzysentimientos.com.ar
> domingos/Sundays 9:30/12:30 GMT

Depends upon who your read, and how you define jazz. Here's the
chronology of the debate as to who was first.

Some sources claim James Reece Europe was the first Black to record
Jazz starting about 1913 with his Clef Club Society Orchestra, about
the time he was playing for Vernon and Irene Castle's dance troup.
Others argue that this was not "jazz" perhaps in order to make sure
the ODJB would continue to get the credit for the first jazz
recordings in 1917. Europe's orchestra was a large Paul Whiteman type
band.

Other sources say Sweatman was the first black to record jazz. The
arguement against that is that Sweatman was more of a showman than a
jazz musician etc.

On the other hand Ory was a jazz musician as we use the term today.

Take your choice. <grin>

Cheers,
Steve