[Dixielandjazz] Pictures of old (mostly pre-jazz era) bands - hundreds of 'em!

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun May 25 15:26:38 PDT 2008

David Richoux wrote (in part):
> Suggesting (as we should know) that probably any town or city in the
> US and many other countries had a band (or more than one) from the
> 1860s well into the 20th Century.

Dear Dave,
How very true,
In the mid-late 1940s I, along with other aspiring jazz musicians in
Melbourne, Australia, belonged to the local suburban band.
Among others, Bob Barnard was in the Mordiallic Brass Band, I was in
the Williamstown City Brass Band.
It did wonders for Bob, but I have very little musical knowledge to
show for my 3-4 years with the competition-winning 'Willy' Band.
"Horses-for-courses", as we say here.
Kind regards,
Bill.
PS: Which gives me a lead-in to let listmates know that while our
clarinet player, Jack Wiard and his wife, are swanning around Europe,
we are featuring special guests on Sunday 'arvos' at the Fortune of War
pub in Sydney.
Yesterday's guest was my old mate Bob Barnard, who leaves on Tuesday
for summer gigs in Europe.
Next week's guest is Trevor Rippingale, whose New Wolverine Jazz
Orchestra will be appearing at the Bix Festival in Davenport, Iowa,
24th-27th July 2008.