[Dixielandjazz] Backbeat vs. Downbeat - one more one more thing

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Sun May 18 18:42:05 PDT 2008

There are many references to freed-men of color and escaped or former
slaves who played drums and fifes in bands on all sides of the US
Revolutionary War (and even military bands decades before that time)
- could this be the starting point for syncopation and "back-beat" in
the "post-colonial" music?

it is on the internets - look it up! ;-)
http://books.google.com/books?id=PSvxJtF3_fUC  The Music of Black
Americans: A History By Eileen Southern
http://books.google.com/books?id=UMaZj6UPbegC African Americans in
the Revolutionary War By Michael Lee Lanning

Dave Richoux