[Dixielandjazz] Coloniser's & Marching Bands. was backbeat v Downbeat

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Sun May 18 17:15:08 PDT 2008

Steve, Pat and all,

Not to exactly answer your question -

Since there are no recordings of actual 1700's bands it would be
pretty hard to prove any point, but in the book "Songs and Music of
the Redcoats 1642-1902" by Lewis Winstock, there many examples, but
the most notable: "The British Grenadiers" of the 1780s which was
described in the contemporary press as "Stately and Dignified"  and
then was soon appropriated by the American bands (with parody lyrics)
and was described as "Spirited and Lively." Having no idea what the
basis for those descriptions I can only guess that there was those
"Downbeat vs. Backbeat" differences. (and I am skipping over a lot of
text I don't want to re-type.)

This is a great book, by the way - I happened to find it in a London
used book store - it has lots of anecdotal references and even music
charts with melody and counterpoint! Amazon shows some copies
available for pretty cheap right now!

The stories about the bandsmen and composers are quite interesting -
things really have not changed that much for military musicians...

Dave Richoux