[Dixielandjazz] Coloniser's & Marching Bands. was backbeat v Downbeat

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun May 18 13:35:29 PDT 2008

>  "pj.ladd" <pj.ladd at btinternet.com> wrote, (polite snip)

> What happens when a coloniser is in turn
> colonised. Do they issue new music to their bands?

Good question Pat. I surely don't know. Perhaps when a colonizer is
defeated by the colonies, the colonizer band already has the music for
it? Like "The World Turned Upside Down", which General Cornwallis's
Marching Band played during the surrender ceremony to the Yanks at
Yorktown Virginia circa 1781.

That battle, and song, effectively ended the American Revolution and
the final Treaty of Paris granting the American Colonies Independence
was signed two years later in 1783.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone (who just spent the weekend with his niece's in-laws who
are from York in the UK)

www.barbonestreet.com
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband