[Dixielandjazz] Backbeat vs. Downbeat

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Sun May 18 11:20:42 PDT 2008

Pat, (and all)

Bob Brozman is an excellent musician (and researcher ) and I think he
was using that analogy to express some very important ideas about
basic elements of the world's music.

I have been collecting music and information about marching bands,
brass bands and related things for many years and I see his points on
this clearly. If you listen to brass bands from India it becomes very
obvious. They developed under the British military band influence but
now have the cultural "freedom" to mix in elements of many kinds of
Indian music.
Listen to "Disco Bhangra - Wedding Bands from Rajasthan" and a few
other related CDs and you will hear it.

Similar connections between historic European military and popular
bands in Mexico and the current "Banda" craze, colonial bands in the
Caribbean and Pacific islands being adapted to local rhythms, the
whole Balkan Brass rhythms that have spun from Ottoman Empire
military bands, and there are many other examples in just about any
"post-colonial" country you can think of!  There is a series of field
recordings on CD that documents all of this:
Frozen Brass:Africa & Latin America and Frozen Brass: Asia
<http://www.amazon.com/Frozen-Brass-Asia-Various-Artists/dp/B000003704>
<http://www.amazon.com/Frozen-Brass-Africa-Latin-America/dp/
B00000370A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1211133594&sr=1-1>  (out of
print but probably available used somewhere.)

Also, if you just look at the logical transition/development of jazz
from Civil War military brass bands to circus bands to Black circus
bands to "New Orleans Brass Bands" to Ragtime to what we call jazz -
the whole thing is about Downbeat (Western Europe/American music)
mixing with Backbeat (Afro-Caribbean music.)

If you watch the "backbeat" bands march they do not move at all like
a "downbeat" marching band - they usually DANCE!  Check out the
amazing bands from the Southern Black colleges and universities for
some obvious examples. The film "Drum Line" is a good place to start.

Also, if you listen to the drum cadences in modern US military bands
you will actually hear a much "jazzier" style that what might have
been standard in the 1800s.

Not codswollop at all!

Dave Richoux
(heading off to play with my "Rock & Roll Marching Band" - we do
upbeat and backbeat styles, and are pretty good for being mostly pink
folks ;-)