[Dixielandjazz] Sacramento Jazz Festival set lengths

Lowell Busching verbose at daktel.com
Fri May 16 11:47:27 PDT 2008

Rebecca asked on the DJML how long the sets will be at the Sacramento
Jubilee. Bob Ringwald gave an estimate of anywhere from 60 minutes to 70
minutes.

  Based on the advance copies of the program sent out to those of us who
paid in advance (They do not feel that they can send out your badges
ahead of time so you still have to wait in line at the ticket booths to
obtain them when you arrive!), the sets could be as little as 45 minutes
or as long as 75 minutes, depending on how much time MINIMUM is allowed
each band or sound person to set up for the next set.

Some sets have 1 1/2 hours between the START time for one set and the
START time for the next set. including set up time. Others only an hour
between sets!  This is the Sacramento Jubilee coming up.

This set up time can be considerable for some groups, and minimal for
others. Based on my experience as a former sound person, a minimum of 15
minutes is required without anyone feeling totally rushed. Many are
ready to go in less time. Both the musicians and staff. Most drummers
are especially good at this. 30 minutes between sets is often too long
for both the audience and musicians.

Milling around, totally bored, and hard to get the sets going on time
after that long period. Some leave before the next set. Both musicians
and audience! Or appear to.

Yes, audiences do like to see sets started on time and finished on time
whatever it is.  The end time is seldom defined and the sound and
stagecraft people are not always listened to. We are often considered to
be PIA.

The festival staff MAY also be monitoring the start and end times, as
some musicians and groups have found that are no longer invited.  Not
all leaders seem to be aware of this. Sound people are not involved and
may also not realize the importance of on time starting of sets!!!

I understand that most leaders are probably given both their start time
and their end times, but since the sound and stagecraft people often
are not, this can lead to problems and misunderstandings. Apparently
even Bob Ringwald is not totally sure how long the sets should be.
Flexibility only goes so far.

Example:

Allowing for a 15 minute setup between the Crest Theater performance of
the Big Tiny Little Jazz Band at 2 PM on Friday and the following Cornet
Chop Suey Band at 3 PM, the Emperor's set would not be over 45 minutes,
far under Bob's minimum estimate of 60 minutes.

Both of these groups require some set up time for certain musicians.
Quite likely the professional crews at the Crest Theater can handle this
quick changeover. I would not want to be one to guarantee this at other
venues with volunteer and/or inexperienced crews.  Thus the 15 minute
minimum I mentioned between sets is usually necessary.

I would like to hear from the musicians and leaders on the DJML who play
festivals with changing sets what THEY consider to be a comfortable set
up time between sets on a standard stage? Likewise any sound people who
may or may not be consulted on times ahead of time. Personally I have
had these same questions for over 30-40 years now and have never
received an answer. Now is your chance.

There is no gurantee that anyone running a festival will read it or
listen to it, however. They often march to a different drummer.

To those in other countries or other parts of the US who are used to
having your sound done by professional sound people where you are often
required to submit your requirements in advance, all the above will seem
meaningless. You have to understand the logistics of many of the US
festivals as compared to a professional show on one stage.

Steve I believe understands.

Lowell AKA Mad Dog