[Dixielandjazz] New Merry Makers CD

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat May 17 16:52:55 PDT 2008

Dear friends,
I have just received from Worlds Records the latest Merry Makers CD,
'Two Great Dixieland Jazz Bands' (MMRC-CD-32).
The reissue CD provides, for the first time, two fine and extremely
rare, 10" LPs by Len Barnard's Jazz Band (Australia) and Carl Halen's
Gin Bottle Seven (Drayton, Ohio USA) and is very welcome indeed.
Unfortunately, informative details regarding the bands are missing, as
are the known recording dates for each.
The big shock for me (and it's a big shock) is the omission of "New
Orleans Hop Scop Blues" from the original Len Barnard Jazzart LP. Why?
I have been reliably informed by a friend that MM's Ted Shafer had some
doubts that the tune on the Barnard LP was correctly titled. So left it
off.
But why omit one track from an important reissue on the basis of a
'suspect' tune title? Why not include it with a query?
For the record (pun intended) the tune on the original Barnard LP IS
"New Orleans Hop Scop Blues" and was based on  the 5 June 1940 Jimmy
Noone Decca version, which also inspired the 1944 Richard M Jones
Jazzmen rendition recorded for the Session label. (Preston Jackson and
RM Jones are on both sessions.) This simplified Noone title only states
the chorus theme, then goes into solos on a Bb blues - and is taken at
a romp. [In December 1943 the George Webb Dixielanders (England) also
used the Noone routine, which is now on a Lake CD.]
Perhaps Ted had in his head the slower, well-known, 1923 Clarence
Williams' Blue Five feature for Sidney Bechet or the early vocal
versions by Sara Martin, Bessie Smith and Clarence Williams (Feb 1934)
with arranged intro, verse and chorus.
But don't let my old-man's carping put anyone off buying this new and
important CD, produced by a man who has given our jazz so much over the
years, with those early Homespun and Merry Makers LPs, and now CDs.
The music on the above CD is great - and brings back fond memories to
these old ears.
Kind regards,
Bill

http://www.myspace.com/robbersdogsjazzband