[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland Tunes (What is called Dixieland)

Dan Spink danspink at dceo.rutgers.edu
Thu May 15 03:52:10 PDT 2008

With due humility, I offer yet another definition of how the "Dixieland"
came about.

When I started playing "Dixie" in the 50's around Chicago we used the term
to refer to a "style" of playing--the trad ensemble group of instruments
everyone knows so well--with both the upbeat and slower (blues) tempos. In
addition, we had many traditional songs that we played in Dixie style (you
know them all) but we would take almost any song and play it in "Dixie"
style. At Christmas, for example, we had fun with Jingle Bells in Dixie. In
short, the label "Dixie" described a style of playing and was associated
with an traditional repertoire.

Isn't this a lot like the Ragtime label? The first "ragtime" songs published
as such, I believe Scott Joplin's Original Rags was published in 1898, had
the phrase "picked by Scott Joplin" (the creator) on the sheet music to
indicate (I assume) he had only arranged the song. In those days a black
person wasn't considered a sales-worthy composer. About the same time in New
York ragtime pinao playing became a hot new fad--referring to the style of
playing more than any particular song. Remember when used to say, "Let's rag
it?"

My two cents. I'd be interested in any other thoughts on style being the
defining issue.

Dan (Backup Piano) Spink

--
Dan Spink