[Dixielandjazz] ODJB and dixieland tunes

jazzchops at isp.com jazzchops at isp.com
Thu May 15 03:56:15 PDT 2008

I have to respectfully disagree with Graham Martin on the point of calling
the compositions of the ODJB "dixieland tunes."

Again, as I mentioned yesterday, songs are songs, compositions are
compositions. If tunes played by the ODJB are played strictly as written,
there's little that suggests the spirit of jazz or "dixieland" as we know
it. For instance, give a listen to Jim Europe's Hellfighters recording of
"Clarinet Marmalade." Not exactly a swinging, improvised performance. Just
basically a military brass band reading a chart, which is, indeed, what
they are doing. Following the success of the ODJB their music came out for
piano, small combo and brass band.

Another later example of the point I'm trying to get across. Many people
would refer to the tune "Undecided" as a "swing" tune. Yet again, it's
simply a song that was played by swing bands and jazz groups. Ditto
compositions like "Sing, Sing, Sing," "Christopher Columbus" and "In the
Mood."

Regards,
Chris Tyle