[Dixielandjazz] Songs from the last 10 years

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Fri May 16 01:18:18 PDT 2008

Steve Barbone wrote:

> My but you are picky picky today Bob.

Picky?  Steve, I'll be even more picky and remind you to change the subject
line when posting to DJML.

  Now you wrote:

> Had you been listening to  what is
> going around you on the young music scene today, instead of  constantly
> bitching about it, you would realize that there are many  such songs
> available to be SUCCESSFULLY adapted by Dixieland Bands.

Excuuuse me:

Steve, I have never bitched about the songs that have been written in the
last 10 years.  I simply said "No thanks, I don't want to take my time
listening and learning that crap."  Just because the young people like
it, don't make it good.

If you want to interpret my opinion "That most of the songs, written in the
past 10 years for the young kids is crap, as constantly bitching about it,
then so be it.

I am 67 years old.  I played my first professional gig when I was 12 years
old.  I have been playing music successfully, all kinds except for Hard Rock
and
Classical, for 55 years.  Out of that time, I made my living, supporting
three children, a wife and two girlfriends for aprox 30 years.

Now I own a business and do not have to rely on music for a living.  But I
still play well over 200 gigs a year.

I have paid my dues and continue to pay them, playing commercial gigs.  I am
successful without listening to , and playing "Ode To Bitches",

You wrote:

> The most difficult audience to please IMO is the 50-60 year  olds.

I have to respectfully disagree with you.  Perhaps if you are playing songs
such as "Ode To Bitches" for them...

 I've heard them and "read my lips, I don't want to play them."

>> Bob Ringwald asked about recent songs that can be adapted to   Dixieland.
>> Here are some ideas about songs that will appeal to younger   audiences.
>> The most difficult audience to please IMO is the 50-60 year  olds  which
>> is
>> why Beetles, Hello Dolly, Elvis, songs should be added  to this mix.

Of course we can and do play those songs when appropriate.

> I'm sorry you feel it has no relevance to YOUR question.

Again, my question was about songs that have been written in the last 10
years.  Not Hello Dolly, not "Jeremiah Was A Bullfrog".

> But then,  that
> is precisely the problem with the old farts who play Dixieland  and then
> bitch because they have no audience.

Which old farts are you talking about?  I surely hope you are not talking
about this ol' fart?  I have never bitched about not having an audience.

Just Tuesday night I played for a large crowd of all ages, 15 to 70 years
and got a standing ovation.  Why?  Because I played what they wanted to
hear.  I have a habit of doing that.  But I don't play the crap that has
come out in the past 10 years.

There are a lot of real pro musicians on DJML who have never bitched about
not
having an audience.

--Bob Ringwald