[Dixielandjazz] Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 65, Issue 22

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu May 15 08:06:15 PDT 2008

> "Robert S. Ringwald" <robert at ringwald.com> wrote (polite snip)
>
> My original question was:
>
> "What songs out in the last 10 years work in the style of Dixieland or
> OKOM?"  snip to . . .
>

> So, asking about what songs have come out in the past 10 years that
> can be
> played in an OKOM style, (I should have added successfully) , Steve
> answers
> by telling us that  the hardest age group to please is the 50-60
> year olds.
>
> This has nothing to do with my question.  So, skip down past all of
> the
> stuff that has been beat to death on DJML to the list he gives which I
> presume have come out in the past 10 years?

Excuse me? My but you are picky picky today Bob.

Seems to me I gave you as the answer to your question the following at
the beginning of my post:

> Suggestions for young audience songs:
>
> 1) Written Recently: (Young kids love these) You can find more
> simply  by
> listening to the music that the
>     YOUNG BANDS are playing. Vocals are important! This may take  some
> digging because many of us are
>     not wired into the young scene. Get out and go clubbing with
> them.
> For example:
>
>  "Ode To Bitches",  "Teeth",  "Bury Me In The Pasture", Don't Go
> Lookin
> For Lonesome"  By Sick's Pack
>   http://www.myspace.com/wreckcreationmusic

You presume correctly that these songs have been written within the
last 10 year framework that you specify. Had you been listening to
what is going around you on the young music scene today, instead of
constantly bitching about it, you would realize that there are many
such songs available to be SUCCESSFULLY adapted by Dixieland Bands.
All you have to do is listen to them, and since I've posted where you
can hear them before, I'm not going to beat it to death by repeating.

And as to the following being "beaten to death:

> Bob Ringwald asked about recent songs that can be adapted to
> Dixieland.
> Here are some ideas about songs that will appeal to younger
> audiences.
> The most difficult audience to please IMO is the 50-60 year  olds
> which is
> why Beetles, Hello Dolly, Elvis, songs should be added  to this mix.
> And
> perhaps "Jeremiah Was A Bullfrog", which we played a  few time to that
> audience at private parties and they loved it.

I'm sorry you feel it has no relevance to YOUR question. But then,
that is precisely the problem with the old farts who play Dixieland
and then bitch because they have no audience.  The cure to the no
audience problem is clear and easily implemented. That it is not
implemented is, and in fact is derided, only serves to perpetuate the
problem.  In that regard, I'm sorry you don't have the patience you
get over a two sentence introduction (the above paragraph) to THE
SPECIFIC ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.barbonestreet.com