[Dixielandjazz] Volume and fire

jazzchops at isp.com jazzchops at isp.com
Thu May 15 04:01:22 PDT 2008

Steve B. has made some excellent points in his posts over the last few
days. But I must disagree with his point about volume.

Loud doesn't equal fire. Simply because the Watters band and Condon's band
played with volume didn't make their performances exciting, per se. It was
the spirit in the musicians playing that made their performances hot.
Their are many recorded examples of bands playing hot but not blasting
(as, IMO, the Watters band did). Jelly's "Black Bottom Stomp" is a perfect
example of a hot performance played at a moderate volume. (I would
suggestion mezzoforte, perhaps forte).

Regards,
Chris Tyle