[Dixielandjazz] Condon WBD, Fire in the Belly.

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed May 14 22:44:39 PDT 2008

John Petters wrote [in part]:
> It is not called HOT music for no reason. The Brunies / Davison
> Commodores are terrific, especially 'That's A Plenty'. This should be
> essential listening for any  would be jazz musician and should be
> compulsive re-listening to remind-you-how-it-goes - every so often for
> the seasoned pro.

Dear John,
I wholeheartedly agree, so much so that I took your advice and
immediately dug out that Wild Bill Commodore session and played it
again (twice) for old-time's-sake.
Then, by sheer coincidence, about 3 hours later, a parcel arrived from
Worlds Records which included a new Soundies CD (4118) 'Eddie Condon
and Friends', containing radio transcription sessions recorded by World
Broadcasting System Inc. in 1943 and 1944.
Apart from the opening and closing themes, the first 10 tracks are on
the '1944 Jam Sessions Recordings' recorded on 30 March and 14 Dec 1944
and released on Jazzology CD (JCD-101/102)
Unfortunately, Soundies' discographal information is almost
non-existent. But reading the excellent mini-type booklet notes by
Scott Yanow, reveal that the rest of the Soundie CD contains 2 rare
sessions new to me.
[Come on Bill, get to the point.]
One is from 29 Sept 1944 featuring Max Kaminsky and [wait for it] the
other is the Brunies/Wild Bill Commodore group mentioned above, but
recorded 3 days later on 3 Dec 1943. Tunes are "Muskrat Ramble/Squeeze
Me/Royal Garden Blues/That Da Da Strain and That's a Plenty".
All hot, musically the same standard and recording quality - and a
great addition to the Commodores.
I wonder what other unheard gems Soundies is sitting on?
Kind regards,
Bill.