[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland Tunes

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed May 14 20:33:55 PDT 2008

Ed, and List Mates:

Dick Sudhalter's Chapter in "Lost Chords"  on "Dixieland" (pages 274
to 299) has an interesting take on the change in  the meaning of the
word "Dixieland". From "Southern" prior to the 1930s, to a style of
jazz during the 1930s. See specifically, page 279. He claims that the
term started to be used style wise musically, in the mid 1930s, first
by the trade press and then by the public

According to Sudhalter, the first jazz bands, New Orleans or not,
used the term "Dixieland" as a Southern reference, not a musical one.
Like "Tom Brown's Band From Dixieland" which played in Chicago in 1915
with Larry Shields on clarinet, a couple of years before he recorded
on that first ODJB record.

It appears, to Sudhalter, that the name Original Dixieland Jazz Band
also referred to being from the South, rather than a musical style. At
that time, according to Sudhalter, the style was "jazz" and that word
was used in the Chicago Press in 1915 at the time of Brown's gigs
there, and in New Orleans about 1913. (As well as other cities,
earlier and later)

What was so appealing about the South back then?  Well, there was a
social nostalgia for songs and bands to, in Sudhalter's words,
"celebrate the virtues of a halcyon and largely fictional South,
prescribing a prompt return there as medicine for all modern, big city
melancholy." (page 275)

There were all kinds of bands, jazz and pop, which used "Dixie" and/or
"Dixieland" in their names, bands; "of both races playing any music
even distantly reminiscent of a southern Arcadia." (page 276) Some
jazz and some not.

If Sudhalter is correct, all those early tunes were not written for
"Dixieland" as we commonly use the word today to reference a musical
style. They were simply dance music tunes.

IMO, NORK did not have a Dixieland connection as to music designation.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.barbonestreet.com
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband