[Dixielandjazz] What? No "dixie" tunes???

eupher dude eupher61 at hotmail.com
Wed May 14 19:36:27 PDT 2008

Oh, c'mon.

In that case, there aren't any dixie bands either.  And, no rock tunes or bands, no swing tunes or bands, no bebop tunes or bands, no funk tunes or bands, no country tunes or bands, no ragtime tunes or bands...And, no such thing as lied, or chanson, or arias, or cantatas.

Is it an artificial categorization?  Certainly.  Is it flexible, adaptable?  To a large extent, yes.  But I'd no more call "Those Were The Days" a dixie tune than I'd call "And The Angels Sing" a swing tune....it's Klezmer!  I also wouldn't call "House of the Rising Sun" a dixie tune.  But, IMO, part of music being truly good is it's ability to be adapted to other styles.  Of course, those that are extremely characteristic of a certain style or instrument can be good too.

Far harder to characterize, even, is "is it a jazz tune"?

Stephen Longstreet quotes someone as saying only New Orleans music can really be Dixieland, because a NO bank printed a $10 bill with the word DIX on both sides.  So, dixie came from Dix, and it was Jack Laine whose music was the first true "dixieland" music.    (Please, read that again, that's from Longstreet, not me.)

steve "I agree, I call it music" hoog