[Dixielandjazz] Condon WBD, Fire in the Belly.

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue May 13 17:44:57 PDT 2008

John Petters wrote: (polite snip)

> Unlike you Steve,  lucky to be around at the time in the place it
> was happening, most of us have to rely on recordings. The few times
> I worked with the American legends, WBD, Hodes, Lawson, Butterfield
> Al Casey, Davern & Slim Gaillard during the '80s were precious
> moments of being connected to a source of inspiration, no longer
> available today, except through recordings. How much would I have
> benefitted from hearing Bechet or Louis live?
> Keep swinging

I was indeed lucky to be there to hear Bechet live, and even play with
him a couple of times. (He loved to have reed players around who were
nowhere near as good as he was <grin>). What a fiery player and quite
a ladies man. When he saw a gal in the audience he fancied, he would
wave that fish horn at her and make love, musically. Wow. I still try
and do that even at my age. Connecting with young ladies is what makes
the gigs. Get them on your side and the young men will follow. To me,
its all about the personal eye contact, smiling, sexy songs, fire, and
connecting.

Also lucky to have been there when Condon's was swinging. It was still
visceral and vibrant throughout the 50s. The records are excellent,
but still don't do it justice. Occasionally I dig out the Mosaic
reissues, turn the volume up, and marvel at what they were doing, even
though as Bob Wilber has said, it was by then, formulaic.

Louis live was also a treat. Nobody could touch him for putting on a
fiery show. Muscrat Ramble on "Ambassador Satch" gives you the fire
and feel, but seeing Louis and that band do it was another matter
entirely. I met him after a gig with Alec Templeton, over 50 years
ago. We left and went and saw Louis perform at a nearby High School in
Connecticut later. What an experience to talk to that man and soak up
his enthusiasm and genius.

Few of us have that magical ability he and Bechet had, yet many today
are such incredible musicians. They want to be cool, and introverted.
What's missing is fire in the belly and showmanship.

My thought about listening to Condon, WBD, Bechet, Yerba Buena et al
is turn the volume up. <grin>

Keep swinging.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone