[Dixielandjazz] Attracting The Young Kids

Don Robertson jdrobertson at att.net
Tue May 13 09:09:32 PDT 2008

John Wilder wrote:
> When I advocate playing more modern songs, I'm not necessarily reaching into
> today's hits.  When I was a kid in the 60's I heard my generations' music,
> but I also recognized the music of my parents.  However, I probably wouldn't
> recognize most of my great-grandparents' tunes of the day.  To the kids of
> today, OKOM is Great-Grandparent music.

Amen to that.  As a kid I was in the 40's to 50's era of big bands and
lots of show tunes that I still love.  Of all that, I was attracted most
to boogie woogie.  Then I found a stack of  78's that my parents no
longer played, of Abe Lyman, The Benson Orchestra of Chicago and  Paul
Whiteman.  I think there was also one or two of the Original Dixieland
Jazz Band.  Wow I really dug this stuff.  I also saw a side of my
parents I never knew about.  By this time we were in WWII, my parents
were in their late 40's, and life was very serious (they were playing
bridge, not dancing to jazz).  I loved the music of my parents' era, but
I had to discover it for myself. When I got to high school, the
Firehouse Five was just getting started.  Then I arrived in Berkeley in
1952.   Lu Watters had retired, but Turk Murphy and Bob Scobey were
going strong.  I've been an OKOM fan ever since.  BTW, those 20's era
78's were long gone, but most have been re-released on CD's, so I can
still enjoy them.

Don Robertson
Napa, CA