[Dixielandjazz] Attracting The Young Kids

John Wilder JohnWilder at Comcast.net
Mon May 12 23:46:36 PDT 2008

When I advocate playing more modern songs, I'm not necessarily reaching into
today's hits.  When I was a kid in the 60's I heard my generations' music,
but I also recognized the music of my parents.  However, I probably wouldn't
recognize most of my great-grandparents' tunes of the day.  To the kids of
today, OKOM is Great-Grandparent music.

Besides, much of the music of the 60's and 70's is known by most kids, as it
is still played in many public places and on radio.  Just try and find a kid
that doesn't know who Elvis was.  Many kids have been to the neighborhood
Mel's Diner and played the juke box with tunes from American Graffiti.  I'll
bet you could find many 17 year olds who could sing them!

I once sold a keyboard to a guy who played guitar and sang 70's tunes.  He
said, "I lucked out!  I learned these songs back in the 70's when they were
new.  Now, 30 years later, they're still the same songs everyone wants to
hear!"

Surely, you can find something to play from the 60's or the 70's (or even
the 50's) that your band can do justice to.  Current artists frequently do
remakes of old tunes that are popular with the kids.

Speaking of remakes, One time I was playing for "Sister Swing", three
fabulous women who sing the hits of the McGuire Sisters, Andrews Sisters,
etc.  After the gig we stopped at a diner, and the ladies were still in
costume.  When they left, the young waitress came over and asked me why they
were dressed like that.  I told her they were a singing trio.  I said, "They
sing like the Andrews Sisters!"  She didn't recognize that name, so I said,
"You know, like Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy".  She perked up and blurted, "Oh,
yeah, Bette Medler's song!"

John Wilder
JohnWilder at Comcast.net