[Dixielandjazz] Fwd: Igor's Question

edmetzsr at aol.com edmetzsr at aol.com
Mon May 12 19:19:55 PDT 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: edmetzsr at aol.com
To: igorsjazzcowboys at yahoo.com
Sent: Mon, 12 May 2008 2:19 pm
Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Igor's Question

Hi Old Buddy, Hey, you raised quite a fuss?with your question. I've been holding off in responding until I got myself reorganized, having just returned to PA after wintering in FL. So here goes:
?? 1) I've always tried to include some new/original stuff in my programming, both with the Bob Cats as well as with other groups that I've been associayed with. A number of my tunes have been recorded by bands that are active on the festival circuit. Some we play with the Bob Cats but other bands but as an example, Buck Creek plays at least a half dozen Ed Metz compositions regularly and has recorded at least that many - virtually all written during the past 15 or 20 years.
?? 2) With the Bob Cats, I try to incorporate into our library a new tune every year to commemorate 100 years old tunes (e.g. Bedelia 1903 & Ida 1903); 90 years old (e.g. Marcheta 1913), etc. as well as tunes written in the 50s and 60s. For example, we recently played for a 50 year College reunion, and I did arrangements for our four horn front line on "Gonna' Get Along Without Yoa' Now" and "Tonight You Belong To Me" - tunes from your time in the late 50s.
?? 3) Every once in a while the Muse comes to visit and the spirit moves me to do a chart for some tune like "What A Day For A Daydream" done by Lovin' Spoonful in 1966. Of course, the original Bob Cats did a ton of recordings both for Decca and also as airchecks that were written by their band members both before and after WWII. Little by little, many of those tunes are making it into our book. I'm adding (and removing) upwards of 30 tunes each year. At this point, we've got nearly 75 tunes in the library that have never been played - tunes like Matlock's "Catalina Jump" from 1941 and Alberta, Alberta recorded by one of the Rock groups in 1963. We'll play them all ultimately, but we still have to play "Big Noise" and "South Rampart" and several other Crosby all time hits at every concert.
?? 4) I realize where you're coming from though and it's a good question. Too many bands are content with the same old, same old, same old. But it's not a brush to be used to tar every group. Some do take the time to add new tunes and they are recognized and acclaimed for it. Take Buck Creek for example. They do a ton of original tunes written by band members. Although they are hanging it up after this year, they are still going strong - and still adding new tunes to their book. There's one there written in 2008.

There's a lot more to say but I'll take a break for now. Looking to see you out there on the festival circuit somewhere.
Best regards to both you and Barbara,
Ed