[Dixielandjazz] Beebe

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun May 11 17:14:47 PDT 2008

Lucius Beebe was hired by the New York Tribune in 1929. Prior to that
he worked for a Boston newspaper. He graduated from Harvard in 1927,
prior to that attending Yale. He was probably well known in Boston and
New York by 1929, if not for his sartorial manner of dress, then
perhaps for his being outwardly gay. He lived the kind of life that
would have put him in proximity of Society Bands and/or jazz bands.
After several years with the Trib, he got the column which made him
even more famous. About 1933-34 I think.

Beebe, Arkansas is one location of Arkansas State University. They
have a music program, which includes jazz, there now, but I don't know
if they had one there in 1929.

Jimmy Dorsey could have named the tune for either, and then again
maybe not.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.barbonestreet.com